Friday, May 19, 2006

End of Civilization?

I believe that the end of civilization as we know it has possbily come to an end. On MSNBC yesterday, Norah O'Donnell was interviewing Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi about the hearing for the confirmation of General Hayden as Director of Central Intelligence. This is a fairly significant event and important for the future of the country. For reasons which I do not fully comprehend or can believe they began to discuss American Idol and in that conversation Lott said,

"This (American Idol) is a part of American culture. If you are going to be a good Senator, you've got to be into the show."

I am left bewildered and confused. I don't mind that he watches the silly program, but first of all, the selection of the head of the CIA is far more important for the nation then who got voted off. Secondly, how is watching any particular program a requirement for being a "good" Senator. I thought that was representing your constituents and being honest and working towards a common good for all Americans.

I am dismayed. I will have the opportunity to vote for him this fall. Be still my heart. I thought that not having the brain-dead wonder that is Patty Murray on the ballot any more would be an improvement. I guess that will just not be the case.

2 Comments:

Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

One goofy statement doesn not necessarily make a total goof. (Not that such is out of the question, but it is a matter of percentages.)

8:35 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

vote libertarian....

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home