Monday, April 24, 2006

United 93

I have seen the trailer for the new film United 93, based on the events of 9/11, a number of times and it has left me conflicted. By all appearances, it is a well made film that shows great respect to the families of the victims. There is a part of me that feels that I should watch this film. That we should all watch it if for no other reason, than to remind us that behind all the ongoing blather about WMD's and leaks and Iraq, there was an immense tragedy that effected us all greatly. There really are people out to get us as Americans and that is something that we really do need to pay attention to.

On the other hand, in the days following 9/11, I came to a point where I had to severely restrict my intake of news and images just to maintain my own mental stability it was so troubling. When I watched the trailer for United 93, I am reminded of how I felt in those days (which is the point of the film) but I am not sure that seeing it would be good for me today.

This is a subject on which I will need to think some more. I suspect that my feelings about this film are not unusual.

As an added note: Andrew Sullivan says he will not see this film for many of the reasons I discussed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home